A History of Christian Worship: Ancient Ways, Future Paths is a six-part series that explores centuries of worship practices, as seen through the eyes of Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox churches and discussed by leading voices from a cross-section of the Christian community. From scripture, sermons and creeds to baptism and the Eucharist, from art and music to drama and media, from prayer and contemplation to service and ministry, viewers will discover the significant people and events that have shaped history and learn how modern worship practices are rooted in the earliest foundations of the Christian faith.
xplores how the written and spoken word consisting of scriptures, sermons and creeds have remembered and celebrated God’s story throughout centuries of Christianity, including:
• What early church documents reveal about ancient worship practices and why many churches are recovering and continuing...
The Body explores how individuals are joined with the body of Christ through baptism and how the idea of community is essential to the worship experience, including:
• What early church documents and practices teach us about how baptism is celebrated today.
• What symbols are common to all Chris...
The Feast explores the significance of the Eucharist in worship and reveals how the observance of special days and seasons of remembrance and anticipation such as Advent and Lent is essential to the worship experience, including:
• What early church documents and practices teach us about how the ...
A History of Christian Worship - Part 4 - The Music
The Music explores how liturgy and music have enriched the celebration of God’s story throughout centuries of Christianity, including:
• Why time, place, structure and symbols are significant components of worship
• What elements of liturgy lead us to experience the glories of Heaven while on Ear...
A History of Christian Worship - Part 6 - The Embrace
The Embrace explores the inward worship practices of prayer and contemplation and the outward acts of worship found in service and ministry, including:
• How beloved prayers such as the Lord's Prayer have become an essential part of our ongoing dialogue with God.
• Why public and private prayer i...